Thursday, October 27, 2005

Mile High Maelstrom

A Villain Comes To Town

Tonight's the night the Canuck's play the Avalanche in Denver and it'll be Todd Bertuzzi's first visit since breaking Steve Moore's neck on March 8 2004. What more really can I say that hasn't been said ? The seething masses should be extra fired up for this showdown between high-flying divisional rivals.... with a bitter history.
"You're going to have fans throwing stuff at him," said Avs fan Jeff Richards. "They're going to be spitting on him when he comes out."

Matt Schrad has already planned what he's wearing to the game. "I'm wearing an inmate's jersey with his number on it," said Schrad during Colorado's 5-3 win over the Edmonton Oilers Tuesday night.

Larry Skeim and his wife Gina were a little more restrained in their resentment. Both think Bertuzzi got off lightly with a 17-month suspension, most of which was served during the NHL's labour dispute that cost the 2004-05 season.

"The mood of a lot of fans is Moore is not back playing," said Gina Skeim.

"We don't know if he's ever going to be back playing. Bertuzzi's career goes on and Moore sits."
Often times with these kind of build ups nothing happens which hopefully will be the case here but with all the passion and emotion involved it should be at the very least... a highly charged atmosphere. Definitely must see Hockey. Which reminds me, have I told you all how much I love my DirecTv CenterIce Package ? Well I do, I really, really do. It gives me Hockey, Hockey and more Hockey... it's TOTAL BLISS!

50 in 50 Club

Frankly I think any discussion about scoring 50 goals in 50 a games is a little preposterous at this stage of the leagues comeback BUT I think it's another good sign for the NHL's future that people are at least now entertaining the very real possibilities present in the new league for such goals to be reached.
It's been 13 years since Alexander Mogilny became the last player to accomplish 50 in 50.

"It's tough to score 50 in 82 games," said Jagr, who has 10 goals in his first 10 games. "Fifty in 50 I don't know if anybody can do it, even if the rules have changed. That's tough. Wayne Gretzky scored 50 in 39 and that's a record that I don't think will ever be broken."
Like I said talk like this is good for hockey's comeback, there's a buzz building about the scoring and excitement happening at games. I really don't think we'll see a 50 in 50 possibility... yet... but we're definitely headed in that direction and that's a very good sign.

No comments: