Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Vancouver Gears Up for the Playoffs

by hiring... extra security guards.
The downtown bar strip has been a magnet for drunken violence since the previous city council began extending weekend closing times in 2003.

There are more than 5,000 licensed liquor seats in bars and cubs in the three-block strip, and the later closing time attracts young revellers from across the Lower Mainland.
I don't know. I've always considered Vancouver (and Canada in general) to be one of the most civilized places left in this increasingly uncivilized world. Their history of problems associated with the playoffs, particularly after losing in the Cup finals to the Rangers back in 1994, has always kind of blown my mind.



Then again, my mind has been blown out for a number of years now, so my judgement on anything is a little questionable at this point.

Speaking of Vancouver... and blown minds.





Hmmmm, maybe the folks up there ought to take a look at this Canadian film on the dangers of alcohol and drugs. I found it very interesting.




Actually, I found it very hilarious.

Anyways, all kidding aside, I hope all goes well for them up there, both on... and off-ice ...in one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been to.



No comments: